The society as an organization began in June of 1990. Before the museum was purchased the members would move temporary displays around the county in order to exhibit the historic objects related to Forest County history.
The museum building was originally constructed in 1902 as a guild hall for the Protestant Episcopal Church of Crandon; it was purchased by Henry Carter in 1919 and made into a private residence. The home remained in the Carter family until 1994 when it was purchased by the society. The original interior as constructed by Henry Carter has been maintained. The exterior and interior were restored.
The Forest County Historical and Genealogical Society’s mission is to collect, preserve, and exhibit collections pertaining to Forest County in order to promote local history and genealogy.
The Forest County Historical and Genealogical Society’s goals for the future are to repair the museum building to better house the collections. They hope to recruit more volunteers and members so there is enough support to keep the organization functioning at an effective level. The society plans to increase public programming to expose more of the community to the excellent collections in the museum. The society plans to get the entire collection entered into the PastPerfect Software. There will a fundraising effort in order to have more funds to improve all aspects of the society.